1876 - Holy Cross Church

A church existed on the site by 1086 – it was mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Here is a brief history of the church.

Many changes were made to the building over the centuries, and it was burnt down in April 1876, but rebuilt by the end of the year much as it had been.

Here is a painting of the church and vicarage from nearby fields dating from around 1890:

And here is the interior as it was in about 1910:

In 1922, a lych gate was added by the Gilbert family, as Peter Gilbert described in the 1990s. Compare the earlier photo on the left with the one post-1922 on the right. The new lych gate was erected to honour Lord Ernest St Maur.