headerphoto

Wilcot events

Timeline

400
0400

Stanchester Hoard

The Stanchester Hoard is a hoard of 1116 Roman coins dating from the fourth to early fifth century, found in Wilcot in the year 2000. The find was considered important because of the large quantity of  unclipped silver coins contained within. It was also the latest dated example of Roman coins found in Wiltshire.

The hoard was discovered in a field on 25 July 2000 by John and David Philpotts, using metal detectors. It had been buried in a flagon made from the pottery known as Alice Holt pottery. The hoard was named after the former Stanchester villa, a nearby Roman villa with which the hoard was likely to have been associated, along with theWansdyke earthwork. 

TheWiltshire Heritage Museum in Devizes acquired the hoard for £50,000 following a coroner’s inquest which declared it treasure trove.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanchester_Hoard

 

410
0410
1066
1066
1086
1086
1189
1189

Gift of Wilcot Manor

Wilcot Church and Manor gifted for use of canons of Bradenstoke by Count Patricius’ alteration to his father’s 1189 bequest:

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire Museum, Devizes

The gift was confirmed in 1256:

Shown here by kind permission of the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

1540
1540

Wroughtons marry into Wilcot Manor

Sir Thomas Wroughton married Berwick’s daughter Anne, and on death of Berwick’s widow inherited.

Who was Sir Thomas Wroughton?

1544
1544
1639
1639
1649
1649
1793
1793

Kennet & Avon Canal Planned and built

The Kennet and Avon can was planned and built by John Rennie between 1793 & 1810 and runs through the parish.

Here is John Rennie’s initial 1793 proposal for the route, running south of Wilcot Green:

Shown here by kind permission of the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

The eventual route was further north, as shown in the 1810 revision of the 1773 Andrews and Drury map:

1803
1803

Wilcot estate surveys and maps

The Manor estate was surveyed frequently from at least the late 17th century to the mid 19th.

Presumably this was to assess estate rental incomes, as in this 1727 survey:

Shown here by kind permission of the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

Sometimes there were comments too on the quality of the tenant farmers land-use, as in this 1807 survey:

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

The maps of 1803 and 1816 are fascinating:

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

Some of the maps and surveys concern inheritance and ownership questions, such as the partition of the estate in 1818-20:

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

and in 1866:

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

1810
1810

Stowell Park built

Admiral Sir George Montagu (1750-1829) was the third Montagu in the mid-18th century to marry a Wroughton: in his case, Charlotte Wroughton, co-heir to the owner of Wilcot. When the male heir, James, died aged 16, Charlotte came into the estate with her sister Susannah. Her husband, the Admiral, planned and built the new Stowell Lodge by around 1814.

The map below is from a survey of the Wilcot estate made in 1803. It already shows the canal (not yet completed in 1803), and has been annotated in pencil with a plan for the new Stowell Lodge.

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre

From the sale prospectus of 1916
1825
1825

New cottages built around Wilcot Green

New slate and stone cottages (36-49 and 14-20) were built in a coherent style.

The old settlements of East Stowell and Stonebridge disappeared.

The new cottages were said by his grand-daughter to have been built by Admiral Sir George Montagu, who died in 1829:

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

A map of 1839 shows the new cottages round the Green, with East Stowell and Stonebridge villages shrunk away:

Shown here by kind permission of the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

1841
1841

New school built

The new school was built in 1841:

Here it is in 1900:

1842
1842
1849
1849
1862
1862

Pewsey station opened

Pewsey station was opened by the Berks and Hants Extension railway on the 11th November 1862 when the railway opened,  connecting the earlier Berks and Hants Railway with the Devizes branch of the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway, thereby creating a shorter route from London Paddington station to Weymouth. On 2 July 1906 the line became part of the Reading to Taunton line following the opening of the Castle Cary Cut-Off.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pewsey_railway_station

1876
1876
1900
1900

Stowell estate properties sold

Most of the properties attached to the Stowell Estate were sold by the executors of Admiral Montagu in 1900.

Displayed here with generous permission from Wiltshire Museum, Devizes

Stowell Park itself did not sell till the following year, to its tenant James Smith Barry.

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

The estate was sold again in 1916.

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

It was sold yet again in 1922.

1914
1914
1916
1916
1918
1918
1919
1919

Wilcot Manor sold

Wilcot Manor Estate was sold by Captain GES Montagu in 1919.

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

 

1923
1923
1924
1924

Inauguration of Hut & Green

The Hut & Green Committee was inaugurated in May 1924 following the purchase of the Green from the owner of Stowell Park.

 

1924
1924
1924

Council houses built on Alton Road

‘1-4, Council Cottages’, now 9-12 Alton Road. 1-8 were built in the early 1950s and Canal Close in the early 1960s.

1928
1928

Parish boundaries changed

There was a reorganisation of parish boundaries in 1928, when an oddly detached part of Alton Priors (around West Stowell) was transferred to Wilcot:

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

1936
1936
1939
1939
1941
1941

Wilcot Home Guard

There was a platoon of the Home Guard based in Wilcot, and many of the inhabitants served there.

 

The Home Guard paraded on the Green during World War II.

1945
1945
1953
1953
1965
1965
1969
1969
1971
1971