1860 - Barn Cottage – Huish

Although thatched this is believed to be one of the more recent additions to the main village.  On the 1750 map this area housed the blacksmiths and bakery with associated storage buildings. Nor does this cottage appear on the 1841 Tithe Map. It still shows as the Smithy on the 1920 sale map.

In these images the old reading room is visible on the east side of the main house. The Reading Room had been the village school and survived until some years after JB Strong’s death and the sale of the farm by his descendants in 1987 when is was integrated into the house. The old hearse was housed in the barn on the west side for quite some time as it is remembered by older residents.

Mrs Stagg with Barn Cottage and Reading Room believed around 1970

Barn Cottage date unknown