1954 - Mains Water arrives in Wilcot

Until 1954, everyone had to get water from one of the few pumps around the village, and carry it home:

A Wilcot village pump

Few homes had bathrooms.

Showers were completely unknown, and most people had only one bath a week in a tub in the back room. Several children often took turns to use the same tepid water.

Most cottages had an outside loo, without light or heat or mains drainage.

When mains water arrived, cottages were gradually modernised with bathrooms and inside loos. The Maidments modernised their cottages on the west side of the Green in 1954. Relatives from other cottages would go over the Green to use the new bathrooms.