1810 - Stowell Park built

Admiral Sir George Montagu (1750-1829) was the third Montagu in the mid-18th century to marry a Wroughton: in his case, Charlotte Wroughton, co-heir to the owner of Wilcot. When the male heir, James, died aged 16, Charlotte came into the estate with her sister Susannah. Her husband, the Admiral, planned and built the new Stowell Lodge by around 1814.

The map below is from a survey of the Wilcot estate made in 1803. It already shows the canal (not yet completed in 1803), and has been annotated in pencil with a plan for the new Stowell Lodge.

Shown here by kind permission of Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre

From the sale prospectus of 1916