1900 - Stowell estate properties sold

On the instructions of Captain GES Montagu, most of the properties attached to the Stowell Estate were sold by the executors of Admiral Montagu in 1900.

Displayed here with generous permission from Wiltshire Museum, Devizes

Stowell Park itself was sold the following year to its tenant, James Smith Barry.

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

The estate was sold again in 1916.

Shown here with kind permission from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre

It was sold yet again in 1922.